At Refined Massage Therapy we offer elements of Sport Massage Therapy with therapeutic treatments.
What is Sport Massage Therapy?
The application of specific and treatment oriented massage techniques to an athlete with the purpose of enhancing the athlete’s preparation for, or recovery from the physical demands of training or competition.
Sport massage is applied through specific pre-event, inter-event, post-event and restoration/training massage techniques used primarily on-site at an event or at the host or team health care clinic. Local teams, clubs and individual athletes can benefit from sport massage therapy delivered by members of the CSMTA.
PRE-EVENT SPORT MASSAGE
Objective: We get you game ready!
- Within 1 hour of event
- Usually best when started 20-30 minutes before competition but this is dependent on the individual and available time
- Must be completed in enough time to allow for the athlete to properly prepare for their event so they don’t have to rush.
- Encourages general relaxation or readiness
- Reduces anxiety/competition stress
- Increases feelings of well being
- Increases alertness and mental clarity
- Boosts confidence (“Inside Edge”)
- Used for mental preparation (rehearsal, visualization, focus)
INTER-EVENT SPORT MASSAGE
Objective: Cool down from a previous athletic performance and prepare for the next one.
- In between events on the same day.
- Keeps muscles warm
- Assists in reducing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
- Maintains muscle and joint flexibility
POST-EVENT SPORT MASSAGE
Objective: We help you relax and recuperate.
- Post event competition as part of the athletes cool down
- Reduces inflammatory markers that minimizes Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
- Reduces recuperative time period post competition
- Helps in identifying any new or prospective injury sites
RESTORATIVE /TRAINING MASSAGE
Objective: We help you to train at a high level
- Regular SMT clinical setting
- Preferably on a rest day
- Allows you to recover from everyday training load
- Assesses and treat a minor injury before it becomes worse
- Helps you reduce the risk of injury
- Fine tunes treatments with specific techniques with trigger points and areas of stress
- Relieves tender areas before they become a problem
REFINE YOURSELF. REFIND YOURSELF.